Monday, August 18, 2008

Fortune Cookie

So, I went with my mom, dad, and brother to the local library's book sale today and this lady looks at me and says "I just have to say, bald is beautiful." Okay, fine. Whatever. So I look back and say "thanks" to be polite, then go about my business thinking I'm off the hook.

Wrong. I really should know better than that by now: people just don't know when to shut up. She starts going on and on about her mom's bout of cancer. Her mom, who is sitting right there, just smiles, nods and says nothing-- she obviously gets my frustration. I just wasn't in the mood to put up with this today so I excused myself from the scene at an appropriate time only to hear the daughter KEEP GOING on to my mom: like I said, some people just don't kow when to shut it... oh well.

After that episode Pat and I went to get some Chinese food. Once again I'm faced with someone who comments on the cancer: at least she kept it to "God bless you," I can handle that. We get back home, eat, and I bust open my fortune cookie only to find this little tidbit:

"Every burden is a blessing."

Ha! talk about ironic, lol.

No comments: